Coleman Xtreme Cooler
The Coleman Xtreme Cooler is one of Coleman's affordable and reliable multiday, large volume coolers. Thanks to its 70-quart volume capacity and thick walls with heavy insulation this cooler is able to not only store a generous amount of goods but will be able to keep them cool and fresh for multiple days. The cooler boasts very useful ice retention, allowing you to use it as your primary form of food storage for a multitude of different activities. The sturdy and tough lid is easy to clean but also comes with built-in cup holders and has a weight limit of 250 pounds, so it can operate as an extra place for someone to sit if they don't have a chair. The No-Crush Handles are also ideal for letting you carry the cooler without the worry that you're going to injure your hands, this is thanks to the positive stopping angle that the cooler is designed with.
- 5 Days of Ice Retention
- EZ Clean Lid
- Have a Seat Lid
- Great Insulation
- Cup Holders
- Lid hinges aren't solid metal
- Body is made of plastic
- Most reviewers are impressed by how well this cooler keeps food frozen or chilled.
- With proper pre-chilling, it can keep ice for multiple days.
- Some buyers have used their Xtreme Cooler for years without issue.
- The lid has a good, sturdy seal.
- It isn't too heavy making it easy to maneuver around a campsite or in and out of a vehicle.
- Different colors and sizes are available.
- This is a great value for the price.
- According to many buyers, it's durable and can handled some rough transport and camping use.
- Reviewers who are particular about keeping food at safe temperatures have been satisfied with this cooler.
- The cupholders in the lid are very convenient.
- There are very few complaints about the drain or plug.
- There are a lot of positive reviews from people who have used this cooler in hot climates.
- It is easy to clean.
- It lives up to Coleman product standards.
- The hinges are not as durable as the rest of the cooler.
- There is no support for the lid when it is open.
- If empty, it takes two hands to open.
- Although rare, there are some complaints of the handles breaking over time.
- Children can have some trouble with the lid. To get a proper seal with the lid, some force must be used.
- There are complaints of receiving the incorrect size when purchased online.
- There are mixed reviews on the length of time it can keep food and ice frozen.
- The position and angle of the handles make it difficult to be carried by one person without straining the connection of the handles.
- The lid doesn't open more than about 90 degrees.
- There are a couple of reports of the lid warping after being stored in direct sunlight.
The cooler also has a thick and sturdy "Have-a-seat lid" and EZ-Clean lid. By designing a thick and durable lid that still has a smooth surface you can use the cooler as a viable seat for individuals under 250lbs and be able to clean it easily should something spill on it. The smooth easy to clean lid is especially great because anyone who has had to deal with scrubbing down the textured lid of a cooler before can attest to the frustration and elbow grease that has to go into getting any dirt and grime out of the little divots that cover the tops of those type of cooler lids. The "Have a seat" sturdiness of the lid is really just an extra bonus. Most people are going to find themselves leaning up against their cooler at somewhere at some point in time, but knowing that you can simply use it as an extra chair makes life that much easier when you're looking for a spot to relax during a day under the sun. And of course, the best part about using the cooler as a seat is that it also comes with built-in cup holders. So rather than having to put your drink on the ground, you can simply set it to the side like you would with any other camp chair. In regards to relaxation, this really does leave you asking for much.
The cooler has also been designed with what Coleman calls "No Crush Handles." By using a positive stop angle on the cooler's side handles they've designed a hand and carrying system that will help prevent you from crushing or pinching your fingers. Any circumstance where something like that happens can be extremely painful, but when the fool weight of an object you've packed full of a couple of days worth of rations decides to jam your finger it can hurt more than you can believe. The purpose of these No Crush Handles is to prevent that, and the positive stop pretty much guarantees that you'll be able to get a grip without having to watch out for your fingers.
At the beach you can count on cold beverages and easy to grab snacks only a few steps away from the water and even when the hot sand is passing between your toes the cooler itself will stay ice cold. Similar to other situations the cooler's ability is great at the beach as well letting you relax outside of the water without having to get your entire body covered in sand.
The amount of ice retention tells you a couple of different things. It lets you know that whatever you put in the cooler is going to keep from getting warm or hot for a significant amount of time no matter what the outside temperature is like, it lets you know that the cooler itself is well insulated, and that insulation is fairly thick so your cooler walls may be a bit more durable because of that. This is great to know when planning fun beach days but comes especially in handy when you start to look at longer weekend camping trips. Rather than run the risk of your ice melting or having all your food spoil this cooler can pretty much guarantee solid ice and fresh food for up to 5 days.
It's easy to clean thanks to the smooth top, which is designed to allow you to just wipe dirt and grime away: something that most people take for granted until they have to scrub into between the textured grooves and bumps of other gripping cooler tops. This cooler is a reliable piece of equipment and comes at a realistic price. Investing in good times and comfort is never the wrong move.