Ahnu Montara Boot
The Ahnu Montara boots provide everything a hiker needs in a boot. The boots are water resistant, comfortable, durable, and stable. The Ahnu is part of the Teva collection, the Montara boots are lightweight hiking boots that provide comfort when experiencing rocky, muddy, and rugged terrains. The Montara boots feature eVent membrane, Nubuck leather, Vibram outsole, and Numentum technology. One of the most important things you need on a hiking trip is a good pair of hiking boots because if your feet hurt you won’t be hiking very far, and you will have bothersome blisters to show for it.
- Comfortable for hiking and walking
- One year product warranty on manufacturer defects
- Breathability keeping the feet dry all day long
- Stylish and can be worn for everyday use
- Great traction
- Available in multiple colors and sizes
- Lack of support in mid-foot and ankle area
- Loose fit in the toe box and heel area
- Run on the narrow side
- Shank/sole too flexible for extended use
- Many reviewers have put these boots through hundreds of kilometers of trekking and are happy with how they have performed.
- The water resistance will keep your feet dry in mildly wet conditions and through low water, snow, or mud.
- The upper dries quickly.
- They provide a good amount of ankle support.
- The traction keeps you sure-footed on loose dirt, snow, and rocks.
- There are no complaints of the weight.
- The outsole promotes stable footing.
- These require little to no break-in time.
- They can help control pronation.
- The upper will keep your feet warm in cold weather.
- Most buyers say they run true to size.
- There are no complaints of blisters.
- The design works well for people with narrow feet.
- Although the upper is protective, it does not feel stiff.
- The insoles are removable so you can replace them if you prefer something thicker.
- Many reviewers like the look of these. They are functional and stylish.
- Several buyers have purchased multiple pairs after being impressed by the comfort, performance, and durability.
- These can help keep you balanced on uneven terrain.
- Some sellers no longer carry these boots.
- Mud and exposure to water as well as extra waterproofing solution can affect the colors of the upper.
- More cushioning would be an improvement.
- The waterproofing is limited. Heavy rain or long periods in standing water will leave your feet wet.
- The sole is a bit thin allowing you to feel rocks and roots.
- People with wide feet have trouble finding a comfortable size.
- The toe box is a little on the narrow side compared to some other styles of boots.
- There are a few complaints about the material and seams on the tongue being uncomfortable.
- It may become necessary to replace the laces for more substantial ones.
- These are not ideal for hot weather. They lack adequate breathability.
- Several reviewers complain that the soles start to separate after some time and use.
If you will be wearing these boots in cold temperatures getting a half to a size larger might be beneficial because you can wear a thicker sock comfortably. The boot shaft comes to the mid-calf from the arch of the foot, giving protection and stability to the ankle.
If you are looking for men’s hiking boots check out the Arrowood Riva Mid Waterproof hiking boots by Teva. The Arrowood hiking boots are similar in design and feature the same material and construction as the Montara hiking boots. These boots also cost around the same price as the Montara women’s hiking boots.
-Luxurious interior comfort from the pig leather lining
-Sockliner cushions from the density EVA sock liner cushions
-EVA midsole along with Numentum technology
-Vibram outsole provides superior durability and traction
These boots feature Nubuck leather which is a high-quality leather making them perfect for hiking boots. Nubuck feels like suede, but it is more durable due to it being produced from the top grain of the hide. Since Nubuck is a top grain leather, it offers more durability and is stronger than suede. One downfall of Nubuck leather is it can stain and is vulnerable to soiling compared to other leathers. Nubuck leather is long lasting leather. It is also more breathable leather which is another reason why it is a good material to be used in hiking boots. This type of leather does not require a lot of maintenance. It simply needs some occasional cleaning.
Another thing to remember when purchasing a pair of breathable boots is you must also wear a pair of breathable socks. If you wear the wrong type of socks that do not allow breathability it will not matter how much the boots breath because moisture will build up inside of your socks leaving your feet hot, sweaty, and uncomfortable. A nice pair of breathable socks are the Dig Bamboo socks, they are designed to sit above the ankle and they provide extra padding in the heel and in the toe box. If you are looking for a warm breathable sock then check out the People Socks, they are designed with 71 percent of Merino wool which is fine and soft wool. These socks rest above the ankle and they are designed to be snug to ensure they stay in place all day long.
Teva offers a one-year limited warranty on all of their products. The warranty covers only manufacturer defects. The warrant does not cover products that are over a year from the purchase date unless approved after an inspection. The warrant does not cover wear and tear, misuse or excessive wear or alterations. If the product does meet the warrant criteria then Teva can offer a credit or exchange. If your item is over a year old, you can still send it to Teva for a product evaluation which they do on a case by case basis. If you do return your product for an evaluation it can take between one to three weeks for the evaluation decision.
If you are looking to hit the trails for a week or just a weekend hike you don’t want to have to worry about your feet being comfortable because as most know you will not be getting very far on the trail if your feet hurt. Having stability, comfort, dryness, and traction is key when hiking. The Ahnu Montara fits the bill when looking for the perfect hiking boots and again you will not break the bank with these hiking boots.