Leatherman Skeletool CX
If you’re looking for a nifty tool somewhere between a swiss army kit and a pocket knife that you can carry almost anywhere, the Leatherman Skeletool CX is what you need. Multi-tools are an easy to use all-in-one tool that you can take with you on any outdoor excursion or keep on hand for everyday use. They integrate many types of basic tool function all wrapped in a durable and sleek exterior. Thanks to furthered technology by this US-based company, there is a more handy way to carry essential tools. The Skeletool consists of combination pliers, wire cutters, a straight edge 154CM stainless steel blade, as well as a carabiner that is coupled with a bottle opener. This full-size tool is a simplified, compact design compared to other more intricate Leatherman models due to its lighter weight and smaller size. Whether it's opening a can camp side, cutting a wire while on the hunt or securing a nail in your cubicle, the Skeletool CX is a great choice for those “what-if” situations that life likes to throw at you. We go over all of the interesting features and uses of this great EDC tool below in our extensive review.
- Compact size
- Durable construction
- Convenient carry options
- Sleek minimal design
- Easily accessible
- Smart, effective tools
- Limited features
- High price tag
- As a slimmed down version of other multitools, this combines the useful basics while saving on weight and space.
- It is well-made and solidly built.
- The usefulness, quality, and ease of use live up to the Leatherman name.
- The blade is razor sharp.
- Most reviewers consider this a must-have every day carry tool.
- It is lightweight yet sturdy.
- The pocket clip and carabiner add to the convenience of carrying this tool.
- Reviewers say it is a cool looking tool.
- The knife opens easily and safely.
- There is a safety lock to keep the knife from folding in on your fingers.
- Although it has a minimal selection of tools, most buyers say it has everything that they find necessary on a usual basis.
- The knife blade has a nice, effective shape.
- The pocket clip does not protrude too far from the body of the tool making it more comfortable to carry.
- The screwdriver bits can be switched out.
- Buyers have been impressed by Leatherman customer service.
- The wirecutters work well.
- This is a durable tool that can withstand a lot of use.
- For the limited number of tools it has, buyers consider the price a little too steep.
- The pocket clip is only on one side limiting how it can be worn.
- The are mixed reviews on the utility of the carabiner.
- The phillips screwdriver bit is fixed in place at the end of the handle.
- The pliers are not spring loaded. They can feel tight when new.
- The edges of the handle can dig into the palm when a lot of pressure is used.
- This is a streamlined multi tool that does not have as many features as some other options on the market.
- Depending on the size of your hands and the angle you need to use the pliers, the screwdriver bit on the end of the handle can cause some uncomfortable pressure.
- There are a few reports of the extra screwdriver bits falling out.
- Although great for small, everyday jobs, the pliers are not robust enough to handle big projects.
The combination of strong pliers on the interior of this tool feature needle-nose pliers that can be used regularly. Although these pliers are shorter than other Leatherman products they are still durable enough for almost every purpose. They have been tested to withstand immense pressure without bending or twisting which are characteristics of a well-made tool. It can be easily used in less than ideal workspaces because of its smaller size. There is no gap between the two ends while clamped and users online say they were able to easily remove splinters, hold fast onto hot pans and even assemble furniture with this component. It’s important to note some users have had issues with one of jaws breaking off when too much pressure was applied but it is usually due to user error. Leatherman offers a full 25-year warranty on all of their products and no customers have reported issues with having defunct tools replaced. Further down the head of the pliers lie the soft and hard wire cutters, working impeccably well each time. While some customers have remarked on preferring swapping this particular tool out for a file or scissors others are grateful for its ability while cutting fishing line or needing an electrical wire temporarily pinched.
The knife featured on the Skeltetool CX is 2.6 inches long and made of 154CM stainless steel. A fan favorite, this type of carbon steel stays sharper for longer and is corrosion resistant. This factor is known to increase edge strength and reinforce toughness. Leatherman incorporated a full plain edge blade on this version that cuts cleaner than the former partially serrated edge. The knife is easily deployed with one-hand via a thumb hole cut out into the blade and locks in securely thanks to a liner lock. This offers a safer user experience and with practice, it can be closed single-handedly making it a convenient on the go choice. Not exactly considered a weapon but because of the blade size, under TSA regulations the Skeletool CX cannot be brought onto any aircraft. Make sure you drop it in your checked baggage next time you fly.
Another great thing about the Skeletool CX is the fact that it is equipped with a swappable double-sided Philips cross and a double-sided flat screwdriver on the end of one of the handles. One is always housed in the bit driver, while the second is stored securely in the frame recess. These work with the exact same type of removable bit holder as some other Leatherman full-size multi-tools giving you the ability to use the same accessories and bits. The bit holder and storage is equipped with an active spring-loaded mechanism locking them in place and saving users the trouble of losing bits. With the unevenly positioned handles, it can give the screwdriver an awkward hold while in use, but many just take advantage of the tool position and use it as an L-driver.
While some don't consider these last few as tools, but they prove extremely useful in everyday situations and improve portability while adding no weight. The carabiner clip is positioned on the end of the handle and is designed with a wire gate that can bend but not break. Easily attach it to belt loops, climbing gear or a backpack with the option of keeping a tool exposed for immediate use. Many users found it useful to be able to keep the screwdriver open but secured while moving around job sites with this attachment. The black accent on the end of the carabiner is a convenient bottle opener that all adults can utilize. Lastly, a hidden gem of the Skeletool CX is its pocket clip. It’s a small curved spring clip that retains this Leatherman product as comfortably as a pocket knife. While most multi-tools on the market now are heavy and meant to be carried as regular tools, i.e. on a belt or stored in a bag, the CX has kept true to its EDC roots.
Ease of Use
Size & Weight
-A durable 154CM knife blade
-Combination of strong regular and needlenose jaw pliers
-Screwdriver bit holder with double-sided bits
-Adaptable to house endless bit accessories
As with most handheld gadgets and the people using them, there are faults to any well-made product. With proper care and awareness of your strength, a chipped knife or broken plier is less likely to happen when applied properly.